Blue Monarch design

Any woodworking not in the following categories

Re: Blue Monarch design

Postby sid_matheny » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:10 pm

Jack checked prices on the 4 x 4 Douglas Fir post specified for the project and found that they would cost $600

:shock: WOW that is a shocker!

Missed another meeting as my cochlear went out a couple of days ago and I'm totally deaf for now. :(
A new one should be here Thursday. I hope it works ok because if not that means the implant in my head will have to be replaced.
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:56 am

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. I'm having a lot of difficulty hearing and my hearing aids aren't helping a lot. Bummer. :!: :!: :twisted:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 am

The need to have a torsion box constructed on a plane surface to prevent the potato chip outcome presents challenges, but the one scheme that appealed to me was the cross sting thing. To test that out, I constructed an experiment using my I-beams [which are pretty straight by the way] and a couple of adjustable horses. The photos are pretty much self explanatory but suffice it to say that they need to just kiss in the middle of the whole deal without one actually distorting the other. To do that with standard horses and wedges could be a challenge, so I used a clamp in opposing configuration to accomplish it on my adjustable horses.

The photos for this are in the Tutorial forum.

Needless to say: The stings need to be tight and lifted from the surrounding stuff to make the deal work. I stretched the string and used blocks of wood cut from the same stick to lift the strings above the I-beams. It was almost perfect but using the opposing jaw clamp to lift a corner to just make them kiss confirmed that the I-beams are in the same plane.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:44 am

After clearing away all the obstacles [planer, router table, etc.] the torsion box assembly tables are in place. The schedule has slipped since the supplier won't have the plywood ready until next Wednesday, but there's a place to do the construction ready for it when it happens. The I-Beams are on my adjustable horses and set up to be just below the level of the table saw so that I can still use it to rip the pieces for the project. Not leveled yet but a quick check has them almost there. We'll use the string thing to get them in the same plane just before the actual glue up; didn't want to get it leveled and then bump it out of plane. I had Lowe's cut a sheet of MDF into two 32" x 48" pieces and the remainder is two blade thickness less than 33" [the sheet is 97" long].

side (Copy).JPG

back out (Copy).JPG

The upper landing is 42 x 64 inches and can be assembled on the I-beams while the middle landing being 32 x 48 can be assembled on the table saw extension [on top of the 33 x 48 MDF piece]. That way instead of twiddling our thumbs while the vacuum press is doing its thing with the upper landing we can work up the middle landing up to the point of glue up and still have a philosophical discussion before the two torsion boxes switch places.

Southpaw has volunteered to be part of this chaos so I expect that things should go off pretty well.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:48 pm

IMG_20170801_163027_069.jpg
first torsion box assembly

This is the lower landing torsion box structure. It's missing the top and bottom sheets of plywood [top will be oak and bottom birch] and they'll be attached on Thursday when the plywood is delivered. After the legs are available and the fit can be checked.

Vince is underway on the legs and they look very nice. Oak glue-up 3.5" square.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:51 pm

One more thing: The stringer for the stairs is made from 2 x 10 lumber and cut with the stair pattern. Threads and risers are then nailed into the stringer. Here's the pattern for the stringer made from 1/4" plywood.

IMG_20170731_113725_970.jpg
strinnger
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:57 pm

IMG_20170804_154058_093.jpg

You'd never think this thing required so much work. Jack brought the plywood over yesterday. Vince brought the legs over today and now we have the first landing completed. There's a temporary leg to hold it up until attached to the rest of the structure. The legs are 3.5" square and built up from 1" thick oak. The platform is a torsion box with 3/4" thick deck and built up to thickness of 4.25". Pretty heavy. Not for wimps.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:21 pm

I've posted the August 4 revision of the Assembly Instructions at http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/miscellaneous%20temp/Overall%20Assembly%208-4%20revision.pdf . There are some places where the drawings don't exactly match the text but these don't affect implementation. A later revision will cover them as time permits. Meanwhile, if anyone has questions, post them and I'll provide answers.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 am

I have been following this thread and wonder is this an outside project. And who is it for?
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby loyd » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:06 pm

It's set up in their common area inside the main house. Blue Monarch is the home for women with children and abuse or/and addiction issues while they recover. The project is to have a place for small children to play and read [and be quiet] under supervision of staff while their mothers are in class.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

PreviousNext

Return to General Woodworking