Blue Monarch design

Any woodworking not in the following categories

Re: Blue Monarch design

Postby loyd » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:55 am

overall design 5a0001.jpg

The design work is about done. We're supposed to meet at Blue Monarch on Wednesday the 12th to review it with the staff there after which we can either make changes or begin work. Jack has arranged with a supplier to get the 5 foot square plywood for the upper platform torsion box -- the most critical component in the design -- and that means work can begin when that arrives. There are a few sections that lend themselves to modular design; the stairs and middle platform specifically, but they shouldn't be tried in a vacuum [e.g. "here's the design, build it"]. I just don't think that's a good idea.

Any way you look at this project, you can see that building it in modules, assembling it to check it out, disassembling it for transport, and re-assembling it ain't for wimps. However, to skip the initial assembly is to court disaster -- and that in front of the client.

Jack has arranged to do the dry-run assembly step in RGulley's shop. Are you paying attention Richard? :roll:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:36 pm

I did agree to offer my shop, but didn't know what I was volunteering for. What do I need to provide other than a clear space for assembly?
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 am

Paul, Vince, and I are going out to Blue Monarch this morning. I may be able to tell you after that. BTW: What's your ceiling height?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby rgulley » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:41 pm

8' and the led lights hang down about 2". There are 2 rows of lights about 7-8' apart.
rgulley
Site Admin

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:54 pm

Got a major reset today Richard. I'm pretty much starting from scratch with a new design since too many things were changed to use the previous work. The net is that the 60" square top platform is now a 64 x 42 inch platform. That made most of the rest of the old design untenable.

Vince left with the action item to cancel the 5 foot square Baltic birch order and got that stopped in time this afternoon. The good news is that the research that governs design requirements -- spacing requirements for the rails, building plans for torsion boxes, etc. -- is still valid, and the exercise of making the first design will go a long way to keeping me on the learning curve.

This was my first visit and I was really impressed with the deputy director who is in charge of this project. She really knows what she wants this thing to be.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:28 am

BM-New-07-120002.jpg

BM-New-07-120004.jpg

The new design is underway. This is just a sketch to get started and has been submitted to the client for approval. The major difference of replacing the 5 foot square upper deck with a 42 x 64 inch one enabled a simplification of the stair way and railing system. The second flight of stairs is now the same dimension [32"] as the second landing.

The client desires to have natural wood finishes ["like the table"] not a painted one. Jack thought it would all be painted but Wendy wants only the spindles to be painted the [several] colors of the chairs and all the rest natural wood finish. That will require some finishing issues that paint would have covered up.

The decks [top of torsion boxes] need to be 1/2" oak plywood but the bottom sheeting [on torsion boxes] can be a less expensive variety [like birch or some other finished version]. It still will require more than one sheet of oak plywood to do all the decks.

Paul Fulks has a source of oak hardwood and Vince says he can dimension it for the stair treads and risers.

Don't be bashful; chime in with your thinking.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Paul, Vince, and I met with the client today and got agreement on the design with her. I'm working on the details this weekend so if you want to chime in, now would be a good time.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:34 am

This is where the design is at the moment. It's a pretty long read but mostly pictures generated by Sketchup. I put it here, even though it hasn't been 'peer reviewed' for two reasons: First, anyone with forum access [hopefully the volunteers for doing the actual work] will be able to refer to it. Second, it's a good opportunity to see what Sketchup can do for you.

I'm by no means an expert with Sketchup and exposed only to its features that I use -- of course, I learn something every time I use it -- and refuse to 'study' it for its own sake. So, don't get any ideas.

http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/miscellaneous%20temp/Overall%20Assembly.pdf
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 am

Getting many people to do various things requires an agreed upon plan. Look at the linked plan for this project [full disclosure -- plan is in progress and put here for the members of the team to refer to].

http://www.tnvalleywoodclub.org/miscellaneous%20temp/Blue%20Monarch%20Overall%20plan.pdf

Don't get lost in the process or details at this point.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:09 pm

Jack checked prices on the 4 x 4 Douglas Fir post specified for the project and found that they would cost $600 got our requirements so we're changing our design to use built up post using a box of 3/4" oak. That was suggested earlier but we didn't know that the Douglas Fir would be so expensive. The 4x4 [3.5" square] built up will certainly be strong enough for the job and cost less than half as much if our supplier hold up. So a change is in the offing even though it means extra work for the Club we feel it will be worth it. Stay tuned. News at 11. ;)
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

PreviousNext

Return to General Woodworking