Blue Monarch design

Any woodworking not in the following categories

Blue Monarch design

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:44 am

I have a question on torsion boxes. Does anyone have experience with a large torsion box. I'm thinking of one that is the size of a 4 x 8 foot plywood. Here's the thinking: use a web of crossed plywood strips on 12 or 16 inch centers between two sheets of 1/2" plywood. The strips would be 3" wide and notched to accommodate the crossing. When sandwiched between the 1/2" plywood sheets, it will be 4 inches thick. By laying out the web on top of one sheet of plywood and gluing the web together and then putting a bead of glue on each of the web edges before laying the top plywood on the whole thing will be connected by glued edges.

Any advice?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Re: Blue Monarch design

Postby henry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:08 am

For some of us dumb-ohs could what a torsion box is ? Or maybe we really don't need to know !
henry

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:03 pm

Similar in concept to a shop made I-beam. The torsion box uses cross members to make sure that they and their perpendicular counter parts don't bend. If you do it right you can get a dead flat, comparatively light, box. They're sometimes featured as bench tops in WW magazines. Here's a simple one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdVrB-mOU70
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:20 pm

This one is pretty much like the one I think we'll be able to use for this project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmsbKDfgXTQ

This is one of those places where teamwork would have been a good idea for this guy, but he got it done. He didn't show that there was a plywood skin on the opposite side.

Done right, a torsion box will break before bending, but it would take a pretty big load to break that box.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby henry » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:54 pm

Thanks for explaining that Loyd, I understand box beams but "torsion box" I had never heart of.
henry

Postby loyd » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:46 pm

THE DESIGN SHOWN IN THE FIRST SERIES OF POSTS HAS CHANGED. SKIP TO THE SECOND PAGE TO THE JULY 13TH POST

overall design 3.jpg

This is iteration 3 as the process progresses. There are a few problems with communications and that 60" square thing may not be the final thinking. But time will tell.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:01 pm

Looks like you are making progress. Keep it up. :geek:
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:24 am

I think this is up to date on my instructions.

overall design 4.jpg

I've removed the walls from the picture since the unit is free standing [not attached to the building]

For the committee: This should be ready for the meeting on Wednesday.
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:22 pm

Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby loyd » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:34 pm

Here's an update for those interested in the Blue Monarch project. Vince, Jack, and I met and used Sketchup to discuss and agree in general on the design of the project centerpiece as previously shown. We're proceeding on the detail design on that basis. The use of torsion boxes is pretty much decided. The envelop shown is solid.

Interesting technical point. I was able to hook up my laptop to Vince's flat panel TV via HDMI so we could look closely at all sides and all around the design. That really took the mystery out of the discussion when everyone could easily see things clearly. You can't do that very well with single camera angle images. So one up for Sketchup. :D :ugeek:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Next

Return to General Woodworking