WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BANDSAW

Anything pertaining to the machine itself including accessories, jigs, and fixtures

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BANDSAW

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:48 pm

I have a Powermatic 14 inch bandsaw. the saw was cutting very well and then i had to replace the "tires". I ordered replacements from Powermatic and installed per instructions. I put on a new blade and tried the repair. the saw cut terrible. the "lead-off" was bad and the cut was not smooth at all, looking like a beaver chewed it off. I have changed to another blade with the same results. i need "expert" advice from the forum "masters". Everybody just wade right in on the solution.
southpaw57

Re: WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO MY BANDSAW

Postby loyd » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:07 pm

It think it's in the air Southpaw. I just had to change the tires on my 12" Jet. The blade kept jumping off the wheel and when I checked the tires the bottom one was trying to climb up the rim of the wheel. :?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Are the tires staying in place? Have you got the tension set tight enough? :?:

Sid
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:41 pm

The tires are staying put. The tension is about what I have always run, as best I can tell. It is just by feel. the cut is really awful. It looks like a washboard. I have always been extremly satisfied with the cutting. Just some little something.
southpaw57

Postby sdunn » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:34 pm

Do the tires have any "hump" from packaging or storage? If so maybe that is some of the problem.
sdunn

Postby southpaw57 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 pm

They seem to be in good shape and appear smooth. It is baffling to me.
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:32 am

Does your blade have a kink or twist?
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby southpaw57 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:11 am

The blades came from Precision Blade. I have not ever had any problems with his blades. This morning, I put on another blade, cleaned the tires to make sure there was no residue on them, re-aligned the guides and still have the same problem. I did discover if I go ultra slow feeding the wood through the saw, the blade is steady and it cuts smooth. But, once I put pressure on the blade to cut normally, i get the problem. The blades seems to oscillate when running under pressure of a cut. I also tried backing off the guides and cutting, same problem. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
southpaw57

Postby loyd » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:26 pm

This is not good. :? :?: :?: Bearings, wheel alignment, wrong tires, drive belt loading, motor mounts, other mounts, Come on Sid. :?:
Loyd -- Administrator
loyd

Postby sid_matheny » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:01 pm

It still sounds like a tension problem to me but it may just need to be replaced with a NEW bandsaw! :lol:

Sid
Sid Matheny
McMinnville, TN

"To the proud, the applause of the world rings in their ears; to the humble, the applause of heaven warms their hearts."
sid_matheny

Next

Return to Band Saws